Chances are good that you are already aware that project management is essential to the creation of all kinds of goods of products. But what is project management, exactly? Let’s take a closer look at this new and fascinating discipline.
What Is Project Management?
Project management can be defined as the application of tools, skills, and activities to ensure that a project is brought to completion within a certain timeframe and meeting certain requirements.
This begs the question, “What is a project?” A project is a temporary endeavor limited in time (it has precise start and end dates) with defined scope and resources.
As you might have noticed, the definitions of both “project management” and “project” are very wide. This is by design—project management can be used to monitor and control any type of project, from spectacular infrastructure works such as bridges or dams to small everyday objects, such as desk lamps or coffee tables.
What Does Project Management Entail?
Project management comprises a broad set of tasks that require project managers to apply both hard and soft skills. These are some of the things that project managers are expected to do as part of their role:
- Make sure that everyone understands why the project is important.
- Monitor the progress of the project.
- Manage providers.
- Ensure that a project reaches its conclusion in an orderly fashion.
- Lead the delivery team.
- Mediate communication between the different stakeholders of a project.
- Manage the budget of a project.
Learn More About Project Management and Engineering Design
This discipline is an exciting field with myriad real-world applications. Below are some previous posts you can read to learn more about this fascinating topic.
- 3 Reasons to choose a career in engineering design
- How is engineering design different from other types of design?
- A basic glossary of engineering design: part 1and part 2
- Engineering design for children: 5 useful benefits
- What is the engineering design process?
- Do good design engineers make good project managers?
Darnell Technical Services is an engineering design firm with extensive experience in a vast array of projects.
Our headquarters are located in Santa Ana, California, and we have an office in Las Vegas, Nevada. Contact us today by telephone (714-285-0082 (CA), 702-945-2899 (NV)) or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to learn more about all the technical instruments and materials we put at your disposal.