It was recently reported by The World Economic Forum that the annual global infrastructure demand is just above $4 trillion dollars! By the year 2025 this dollar amount us expected to get close to $9 trillion!
One of the countries that currently invests tons of money in their civil infrastructure is China as these projects keep rising for this country. China announced in 2015, that there were 300 infrastructure projects for that year with a value of $1.1 trillion US dollars which US $128 billion of that is being invested in domestic railway construction. These infrastructures include the goal of the world’s largest bridge, airport and gas pipeline. The project for the airport construction was lead by Zaha Hadid Architects and estimates to have a flow of up to 72 million people annually.
Top Challenges for Civil Infrastructure
The following are five challenges facing high-profile, large-scale projects in fast growing regions.
- Fast delivery – Speedy delivery keeps getting harder and harder to meet deadlines, as pressure builds with so many other economic interests depending on use of the infrastructure project. This means project managers/architects must find ways to build safe structures faster than ever.
- Staying in budget– Cost-effective work remains key, particularly since public willingness to pay for public projects is higher when it’s evident that cost-effective measures are being used during construction.
- Manage information – These massive projects generate large amounts of information from various BIM environments. If this information isn’t tracked and managed effectively, inconsistencies and mistakes may happen.
- Effective communication – Owners, engineers, and civil designers on these projects are under critical examination more than ever. They need to communicate throughout the project with one another, with stakeholders, and with the public. They must have access to data and be able to share what they know with the others, with full transparency.
- Betting process – Contractors eager to take on these new opportunities need to show that they diversify projects. They from switch easily from highway to bridge planning, or rural to urban infrastructure. This includes many different challenges, new construction styles, such as design-build. This will show the owners that they are dealing with an experienced group of different design and construction styles.