As we have seen in previous posts, engineering design is everywhere. But what is a design engineer, exactly? Keep reading and discover the answer.
What Is a Design Engineer?
In short, design engineers are professionals who design and test a test various goods and products. As hinted above, since we are surrounded by products of all types, the work of design engineers is everywhere.
A design engineer usually holds a degree in engineering or a related field. Many design engineers also have a masters’ degree in engineering. Computer-Aided Design (CAD) certifications and engineering management certifications are some common examples of additional credentials in engineering design.
What Are Some of the Typical Tasks of a Design Engineer?
Day in and day out, design engineers tackle problems related to the usability of products or structures. Some of the tasks they typically perform include:
- Crafting design solutions
- Using Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computer-Assisted Engineering (CAE) software to create prototypes and solve design problems
- Testing products and systems
- Interacting with engineers, managers, and manufacturers
- Analyzing data from prototypes
- Keeping tabs on the progress of projects and writing reports
- Modifying existing design solutions
Where Do Design Engineers Work?
The answers to this question are potentially illimited. Wherever something is built, a design engineer can play a role. With that being said, these are some of the places where you are more likely to find design engineers:
- Manufacturing companies
- Power and utility companies
- Design consultancy firms
- Electronics companies
- Research institutions
- Aerospace firms
- Infrastructure firms
More Engineering Design Ideas
This discipline is an exciting field with myriad real-world applications. Below are some previous posts you can read to keep exploring:
- How is engineering design different from other types of design?
- A basic glossary of engineering design: part 1and part 2
- Engineering design for children: 5 useful benefits
- What is the engineering design process?
- The amazing history behind Roman bridges
- What is a Gantt chart?
Darnell Technical Services is an engineering design firm with extensive experience in a vast array of projects.
Our headquarters are located in Santa Ana, California, and we have an office in Las Vegas, Nevada. Contact us today by telephone (714-285-0082 (CA), 702-945-2899 (NV)) or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to learn more about all the technical instruments and materials we put at your disposal.