Today we answer one of the most commonly asked questions (at least on Google) about engineering design: are Design Engineers in Demand?
Are Design Engineers in Demand?
It’s not surprising that some of the most common questions about engineering design are about job prospects.
Engineering is a field known for its many professional opportunities, and it’s natural for students contemplating it as a career to want to learn more about the possibilities it offers.
Luckily, it’s relatively easy to get an answer to this question. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) provides statistics and projections for most occupations.
And while they don’t have data specific to design engineers, the growth projection for some related or similar roles can give you a sense of the demand for design engineers:
In all three cases, the outlook is rated “as fast as average.” In other words, if you are diligent and have all the necessary credentials, you can expect to find employment as a design engineer within a reasonable period of time.
Some Factors to Keep in Mind
The data and observations provided by the BLS paint an accurate picture of the challenges and opportunities for design engineers in the short and medium term.
- A good portion of the new jobs in engineering will be driven by the economic recovery from the pandemic downturn.
- However, in the medium-to-long term, some manufacturing jobs are expected to migrate to other countries, a fact that those considering employment in that area should consider.
- The growing obsolescence of U.S. infrastructure and a stronger focus on renewable energy means that civil engineers will drive demand for civil engineers in the short and medium term.
Learn More About Engineering Design
Engineering design is a discipline full of interesting stories and bits of information. Below are some previous posts you can read to learn more about this fascinating topic.
- What is a kaizen event?
- What is civil engineering design?
- What is the engineering design process?
- Do good design engineers make good project managers?
Darnell Technical Services is an engineering design firm with extensive experience in a vast array of projects. Our headquarters are located in Santa Ana, California, and we have an office in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Contact us today by telephone (714-285-0082 (CA), 702-945-2899 (NV)) or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to learn more about all the technical instruments and materials we put at your disposal.